DIY Mod Podge Vintage Initial Letters

DIY Mod Podge Vintage Initial Letters

Creating a DIY styled event is simply how I roll. It shows character that sometimes can’t be achieved by your basic pre-made party decor and represents an event style in the best of ways. Handmade rocks because it’s handmade.  When prepping for the besties engagement party we dove into DIY as it’s a huge part of her big day.  I’ve created mod podge initial letters a few times for friends and for myself as home decor so I’ve had a little practice.  These letters where created with a vintage flair (my absolute favorite) to be used at the engagement party, the wedding and then used as home decor for the bride and groom.

DIY mod podge initials

DIY mod podge initals

Because I am a huge fan of the ampersand sign it’s my favorite in this bunch.  The vintage styled cardstock and music note paper totally rocks.  Due to a time crunch I spray painted the ampersand sign gold, it fits in with the other mod podge letters perfectly. This DIY project can take some time but it’s worth it, especially when making it for a friend or adding it to your home.

DIY mod podge vintage initial letters

DIY Mod Podge Vintage Initial Letters

Supplies:
Letters (I used cardboard letters but wood would work great!)
Thick cardstock
Embellishments (I used fabric flowers)
Mod Podge
Brush for applying

How-To:
Cut strips of cardstock. I cut several different lengths and varieties of patterned cardstock.
Using a brush, apply mod podge on the initials and also on the back of the cardstock.
Place the cardstock on the initial and apply a thin layer of mod podge on top of the paper.
Allow the paper to dry and apply embellishments using a hot glue gun.

This is a slightly messy project so I recommend using an old towel and no stressing when you hands begin to get sticky, wink wink.

DIY mod podge vintage initial letters

Facebook Twitter Email

12 Responses to "DIY Mod Podge Vintage Initial Letters"

1. Jessica

September 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

Very pretty! I often just spray paint, but this is inspiring. Would love to do something more complex/more custom. Where did you find the ampersand? I always purchase these letters from Joann Fabrics, but have never seen the “&” there.

• Melissa

September 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Hobby Lobby, my favorite go-to supply shop. ;)

2. Miya Goodrich

September 16, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Cool project! I bet this would look super cute in a baby room. I must try this in the future :)

3. Sharon Garofalow

September 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm

These are so cute Melissa! ! I haven’t experimented with mod podge nearly enough. I know it must be awesome to play with!

4. Jackie

September 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

These are so cool! I am making some similar to these for my kids for Christmas this year.

5. Nicole

September 16, 2013 at 10:59 pm

These are so great! What an awesome idea for a hostess gift.

6. Jenna M

February 8, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Super cute! Did you put the paper on the sides of the letters too, or just the front??

• Melissa

February 9, 2014 at 9:28 am

Thanks for the blog love! I put the paper all over it; top, bottom and sides. Happy crafting!

7. Pingback: DIY Mod Podge vintage initial letters.

8. Shelly

February 13, 2014 at 1:53 am

Beautiful Melissa! Where did you fine your thick cardboard? And also did you free hand the letters or trace them, I’ve always wanted to do these letters with a lot of projects, just never have….. I guess I need a hands in tutorial ! Lol!!!

• Melissa

February 13, 2014 at 6:51 am

I bought thick cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby so make sure to check your local craft stores for plain cardboard letters, they come in a few different sizes. Happy crafting, Shelly! :)

9. Pingback: The Broke Student’s Guide To The Sweetest DIY Holiday Gifts | Chegg Blog

Submit a comment